Sunday 3 August 2008

Pheobe's Garden

This is the final quilt in the series I've made for my niece's 5 children. Pheobe is the middle child and the quietest and least easy to get to know. The only thing I could find out about her is that she likes frangipanis. I'd always admired the medallion style quilt and I thought it was a good chance to make one.

I managed to find a fabric which had some frangipanis printed on it. There weren't a lot of them but it did have some butterflies printed on as well. It also provided me with a colour scheme for the quilt. I used a Cynthia England pattern to piece two larger butterflies for the central block: I later embroidered details onto them to give more definition. I found the medallion style quite challenging to make - so much bias work! Some parts bulged but thankfully it did"quilt out." the quilt is machine pieced and hand quilted using a poly/wool batting.

4 comments:

Fer said...

Aww, beautiful!

So does this mean a quilt for Pip's bub is next? ;)

The Exton Gardener said...

Probably. Drew thinks she looks pregnant again!

Fer said...

Oo-ah, I'm not really surprised though!

Anonymous said...

I really like the visual appeal of your quilt. The square patch of the border adds subtlety to the quilt, not overpowering, but just adding enough "oomph" to the overall design.

-Alice