Tuesday 20 May 2008

The pear tree

The pear tree is gone!!

This iconic tree which graced the small paddock known as the Old Yard, has been destroyed by the new broom which has likewise swept away the cherry trees which grew on the rocky bank nearby. It's rather hard to believe that the tree which had outlasted many Badcocks including Drew's father, has been uprooted by the cousin who is relentlessly modernising what used to be the back part of our farm.

I'll always associate this tree with Tara who has used its image as a symbol in those wonderful photos taken by Alan of Photobat.
The soil has been ripped up and Drew found some more shards from the Old Yard's former history.

4 comments:

Fer said...

How sad!

Speaking of trees, I need to acquire some quinces for the production of jelly. Can I hassle you for some please? :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that makes me feel so nostalgic! I remember all those times, picking up rocks in that blasted paddock! But the cherries were good... :) I didn't know it was a peach tree though, seems odd until you know there used to be a house there too!

Who bought the back of the farm again?

Mlle La Revolution des Cache-Pots said...

What barbarous bastards these soulless wanker cousin Badcocks are...doesn't anyone 'get it'...a tree like this is an important symbol...it's living whitless to generations of inhabitants, wandering farm children and tired sheep...hmmmm, I'm so cross, though very glad I made use of the opportunity to photograph the tree when I did...I had this feeling, see...that it wouldn't last much longer...it's a case of the hawthorn hedge syndrome...all these bogans around us with no sense of beauty or poetry!! Their loss......

Mlle La Revolution des Cache-Pots said...

I thought it was a pear tree...that's what you've all told me ever since I was a wandering farm child....