Wednesday 18 June 2008

Masked Owls

School holidays have come and gone, but for the two rather dismal winter weeks I was beavering away on this piece, created for a friend. She wanted a sculptural piece that was a native Tasmanian creature, so what better than an owl? I'd had enough of stitching Boobook owls so I wanted to try the Masked Owl (Tyto novaehollandae). The Tasmanian sub species is interesting because the female is larger and darker than the male, and is in fact the largest Tyto (masked) owl in the world! So here was scope indeed. I envisaged the larger female posturing on the top of a stump, accompanied by her quieter consort.

Technically the work is supported on a hidden satin-covered box (Apost mailing tube) and mounted on a handmade felt "cosy." I adapted the pattern I'd created for the Boobook owls: Masked Owls have different proportions - shorter bodies, longer legs and larger wings. And, of course, the mask face is fascinating to embroider. Most of the work is stitched on the Thug, my trusty Bernina 950, which had recently been serviced making it a learning curve all over again, trying to get the tension variations I was used to! The stump is stitched over two layers of woven interfacing and took two days to work. When I finally pinned it in place, it was obvious that I'd gone overboard on the colour blending and the whole effect was distractingly stripey! I had to go over the entire surface with a blending colour to tone it down enough.

Assembling the work took a whole day. The legs and wings are supported with tie wire armatures and the finished piece is surprisingly sturdy. The open wings of the female posed many challenges; I would, if I'd had more tome, have stitched a line of fuse wire down the leading feather to stiffen it a little as it's sure to curl over time.

It was such a challenging piece to work that it is now difficult for me to appreciate it fully as a finished sculpture, especially as I finished it only the night before delivery. Sound familiar, Tara?

3 comments:

Fer said...

Oh Mum that is sooooo great!

You really have mastered your art I'm sure! :o)

Mlle La Revolution des Cache-Pots said...

Oh yes, soooooo familiar!!
But corrrr, what a piece...I bet she was over the moon with your work?! She'd better be...all the hard work, get it? HARD!!!! Oh dear...must be switzerland bringing out the silly innuendo in me...oooh!

Honestly its a masterpiece Claire B, and VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi "Fer's Mum"!

Fer (Jen) sent me the link to your blog.

Your work is awe inspiring. It made my jaw drop. Jen explained to me your technique, and it was nothing I like I expected.

Your owls are truly amazing. I'll be sure to check back often, and read more about your work.

-Alice