Thursday 28 February 2008

Look what the cats dragged in!



A couple of weeks ago we had a nice little evening shower. The cats went out and immediately discovered , to their great delight, that when a small green frog that had been innocently migrating through the grass, was patted with a delicate paw, a high-pitched oboe noise was emitted! To save these poor frogs too much orchestral distress at the instigation of the feline music lovers, I rescued the frogs, some 5 in all and relocated them to the pond.



In the ensuing weeks, any wander past the pond has resulted in considerable splashes of surprise, leading me to believe that there were more than five frogs in that pond! So yesterday I took camera in hand and did my best commando crawl through the buttercup bespangled grass and managed to get close enough without startling my froggy inhabitants. And there they all were, sunning themselves.


These frogs are not ,as many people call them, the true Green and Gold frog but rather the Tasmanian species Littoria raniformis or Green Warty Marsh frog. (Isn't that a name the just trips off the tongue?) I settled down for my count, and as more and more kept popping up and sunning themselves on lily pads and rocks I was able to count them - 14 in all!



It's not that big a pond! Those that are bigger and seem to have been incumbents longer, have tanned to a darker bronze colour, but my little explorers are still a delicious green. They are all such a delight.

After taking my photos I crawled discreetly back the way I came .

2 comments:

Fer said...

Have you sewn these ones before? If not I'm sure they'd make a lovely picture!

Must be nice to have frogs back in the pond too!

The Exton Gardener said...

I actually made some 3D versions of this species several years ago as well as 3 stitched pictures. One of the pictures I should really have kept - I was so pleased with it. It was a sun basking frog. Perhaps I'll have to do another ...